• the types of information that we may collect from you or that you may provide to us when you visit us at one of our retail store locations, talk to us online, call us on the phone, or visit any of our websites (including https://www.kaltire.com/) (the “Sites”); and
• how we collect, use, disclose, and protect your personal information in relation to our operations, as well as the products and services we provide (the “Services”).
Kal Tire is committed to being accountable for how we handle personal information, as well as how we follow the rules and procedures outlined in our policy. Kal Tire will manage and safeguard your personal information in accordance with applicable federal and provincial privacy laws.
Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of personal information that we handle, and allowing individuals to request access to, and correction of, their personal information in our custody or under our control.
“Personal information” is information about an identifiable individual and includes employee personal information but does not include business contact information (including your name, title, business telephone number, address, e-mail or fax number), or work product information.
GIVING AND WITHDRAWING CONSENT
Please read this policy carefully. By visiting and using our Sites, creating or maintaining an online account with us, purchasing any products from Kal Tire, contacting Kal Tire, or otherwise using our Services, you acknowledge the notices in this policy. If you do not agree with our policy and practices, you must refrain from using the Sites or our Services.
We will collect, use or disclose your personal information with your consent and as permitted by applicable privacy laws (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
Consent can be provided orally, in writing, electronically, and/or through an authorized representative. Consent may be implied in situations where the purpose for collecting, using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the customer voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose. When you voluntarily provide personal information to us, we will imply your consent.
Where permitted or required by applicable law, we may collect, use or disclose personal information without your consent. For example:
• in an emergency that threatens an individual’s life, health, or personal security;
• when the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory); • when we require legal advice from a lawyer;
• for the purposes of collecting a debt owed to Kal Tire; or
• to investigate an anticipated or actual breach of an agreement, fraud, or a contravention of the law.
If you wish to withdraw your consent to our collection, use, or disclosure of your personal information, please contact us as set out in the “Questions and Complaints” section below. In some cases, withdrawal of your consent may not be possible due to legal obligations or requirements. Withdrawal of your consent may also mean that we will no longer be able to provide certain Services to you.
If you withdraw consent relating to your personal information, we may choose to delete or anonymize any or all of your personal information in our system. We may also keep a record of your withdrawal of consent.
PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED
Kal Tire collects personal information from individuals when providing Services. We have described the types of information we collect in categories below.
Personal Information You Provide to Kal Tire
• Contact information: we collect your contact information in a wide number of circumstances, including when you register for an online account on the Sites (“My Garage Account”), when you purchase an item or service from the Sites or from a Kal Tire retail store location, when you apply for a job with Kal Tire, when you use the “Live Chat” feature on the Sites, when you sign up to our electronic mailing list or use the “Contact Us” form on our Sites, when you subscribe to SMS updates from us, when you contact us to obtain a quote or to inquire about our products or Services, when you book a service appointment, or otherwise during our operations. Contact information may include your name, e-mail address, telephone number, and mailing address.
• My Garage Account information: you can create a My Garage Account on the Sites for the purposes of facilitating faster checkout, managing vehicle profiles, viewing purchase order history and service appointment information. When you create a My Garage Account, we collect your contact information and we collect additional information such as your username and password, your email address, postal code, phone number and vehicle information. When you visit a Kal Tire retail store location, we collect your contact information and vehicle information, which we associate with your customer account record.
• Purchase information: when you service your vehicle with Kal Tire or make a purchase from Kal Tire in association with a customer account, Kal Tire will document purchase details such as the date, quantity, SKU, description, price, applicable discounts, vehicle information (e.g. vehicle year, make, model, VIN), and location of the purchase in your customer record. If you make a purchase on the Sites, we will collect your mobile telephone number and postal code. You have the option to provide us with your vehicle’s license plate number. If you make a purchase on the Sites, your My Garage Account will also keep a record of your order number, as well as the date the order was made, order details, status, shipping and billing details, tracking number, product information, the order total, and other purchase information.
• Payment information: If you purchase a product or pay for a Service at a Kal Tire retail store location or over the phone, we collect your payment card and billing information and provide it to our third party payment processing service provider in order to process the transaction. Kal Tire does not collect payment card information directly from you if you make purchases on our Sites. Payment card information is not stored on your My Garage Account.
• Vehicle information: when you book a service appointment with us, we collect your contact information, as well as information about your vehicle. When you create a My Garage Account, you have the option to provide your vehicle’s VIN and license plate number to access the vehicle’s service history via CARFAX. For further information on CARFAX, please see the section “CARFAX Service History Data Sharing” below.
• E-mails, live chat messages and phone calls: if you e-mail, call, live chat, or otherwise communicate with Kal Tire, we may keep copies, records, recordings, transcripts, or notes of such communications including any personal information communicated by you. If we send you a marketing e-mail, we will collect information about whether you open the e-mail, whether you access the link(s) provided and, if you do, what pages you visit on our Sites, and also what, if anything, you purchase.
• Social media information: when you visit or message (whether directly or indirectly) us on our social media platforms (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube), we may collect personal information such as your name, contact information, opinions, or any other information provided by you.
• Contest, sweepstakes, and promotion information: Kal Tire runs promotions, sweepstakes or contests from time to time. To receive information about a promotion, or to participate in a contest or sweepstake, you may be required to provide personal information to Kal Tire. This could include your name and e-mail address.
• Job application information: you may apply for jobs at Kal Tire through the job application platform accessible via the Sites. During your application, you may provide Kal Tire with personal information, which could include your contact information, LinkedIn profile, resume, work experience, education, skills, licenses and certifications.
• Product and store ratings and reviews: following a purchase or retail store visit, you may receive an e-mail requesting a review from us so that we can collect your feedback on a product or retail store visit. When you submit a review on our Sites about a product or a retail store, we will collect your e-mail address, location, location of the store visited, vehicle type, a first name or nickname (that will be publicly displayed if your review is posted), photos you may submit of the product, and information about your experience with the product and/or service. Any information or photos that you provide other than your e-mail address may be posted publicly on our Sites. As ratings and reviews may be accessible to all visitors to the Sites, please do not include any other personal information in the rating or review. By posting a rating or review, you agree that we may contact you to conduct follow-up customer service calls to ensure we are providing our customers with exceptional service.
• Feedback and questions: Kal Tire may also collect personal information that you include in any feedback that you provide to us by e-mail, telephone, live chat, through the Sites, through our social media platforms, in person at our retail stores, or to third party research services providers. When you complete a survey that we have circulated, we will collect the personal information you provide us, including your expressed opinions and comments about your Kal Tire experience.
• Other information: we collect any other personal information that individuals give or submit directly to Kal Tire on a voluntary basis.
Personal Information Automatically Collected on Our Sites
As you navigate through our Sites, Kal Tire uses various technologies to automatically collect certain information. These technologies include cookies and analytics technology. The information we collect includes:
• Device information: when you access the Sites, we may collect information about your device, such as your internet protocol (IP) address, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), platform type, device identifier, device manufacturer, device model, operating system, platform type, connection speed, and version information.
• Technical and usage information: Kal Tire and Kal Tire third-party service providers collect information about your browsing behaviour on the Sites. This information may include the sections of the Sites that you visit, the date and time of your use of the Sites and your in-media time, your actions within the Sites (e.g. number of clicks), connection speed, crashes on the Sites and other system activity, the URLs you visited before and after using the Sites, and certain content that you download from the Sites.
• Location information: if you have enabled location services through your device, Kal Tire may collect the geolocation of your device when you are actively using the Sites. You may deny access to your geolocation information, but if you deny access then we may not be able to provide you with a personalized user experience.
• Cookies and tracking technology: Kal Tire collects personal information when you access the Sites or when you open our e-mails or interact with our advertisements online via cookies, web beacons, pixel tags, and other similar tracking technologies. Cookies and tracking technologies collect information such as: products viewed, and products added to a shopping cart or purchased.
Personal Information Collected from Other Sources
• Video surveillance: when you attend a Kal Tire store, your image may be recorded in some public settings for security purposes.
USAGE OF THE PERSONAL INFORMATION
Kal Tire uses the personal information that we collect about you for the following purposes:
• to process purchases and to provide you with requested information, products, or services;
• to process returns;
• to book service appointments;
• to provide you with access to certain areas of the Sites and to administer your use of the Sites or Services;
• to optimize our Site organization and design;
• to understand traffic and activity on the Sites and to main the integrity of our Sites;
• to provide you with notices about your My Garage Account;
• to maintain records regarding your vehicle service, billing, and contact information;
• to contact and correspondence with you directly and manage our relationship, including in relation to the provision of our Services or to respond to your questions, comments or concerns;
• to carry out our obligations and to enforce our rights arising from any contracts with you, including for billing and collection or to comply with legal requirements;
• to notify you about changes to our retail store locations, or any products or services we may offer or provide in our stores or online;
• to send you marketing messages, some of which may be tailored to you based on your previous browsing or purchase activity and other information that we hold about you;
• to investigate and address individuals’ concerns and questions;
• to conduct market research studies;
• to improve our Services and customer relationships and experiences;
• to understand interest in our products and Services and to tailor our marketing;
• to provide you with location-based services on the Sites and to deliver regionally relevant content, inventory and pricing;
• to allow you to participate in Kal Tire’s promotions and surveys;
• to contact winners in Kal Tire’s sweepstakes and contests;
• to assess job applicants’ eligibility and qualifications for employment with Kal Tire and to contact applicants in relation to employment with Kal Tire;
• to suspend or delete accounts;
• to train our employees and service providers;
• to help us identify and verify customers when they interact with us in stores and on the Sites;
• to help us detect and prevent fraud, investigate claims, and protect the security of our stores and the Sites; and
• to meet our legal obligations and for regulatory purposes.
We will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was originally collected, or for a use consistent with that purpose, unless you expressly consent otherwise or it is permitted or required by applicable law. Kal Tire may also use your personal information to provide you with other products and services that you request or for other purposes we may identify at the time of collection.
COOKIES, TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES AND ADVERTISING
You may see advertisements for Kal Tire on third-party websites and platforms. These may be directed to you using your e-mail address, cookies, pixel tags, or other similar technologies which allow us and our service providers to serve ads to customers.
Kal Tire may engage a social network to show ads to our customers, or users who match the demographic profile of our customers. If you no longer want to see tailored advertising, you can change your cookie and privacy settings on your browser and on these third-party platforms.
You can learn more about how to opt-out of tailored advertising and behavioural tracking from the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada.
You can choose whether to allow the Sites to collect and use real-time information about your device’s location through your device’s privacy settings. If you block the use of location information, some parts of the Sites may be inaccessible or not function properly.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We know your privacy is of the utmost importance. Except as described in this policy or in other situations where we have provided you with notice, have obtained your consent, or are obligated or permitted by law, Kal Tire will not disclose, trade, rent, sell, or otherwise transfer your personal information with third parties.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties when our Services or operations require us to provide your information to a third party who performs functions on our behalf. For more information on how Kal Tire discloses your information to third parties, please see our section on Third Party Service Providers below.
CARFAX Service History Data Sharing
Kal Tire has partnered with CarFax Canada to provide vehicle service history information on our most common passenger and light truck services. In doing so, we join many other dealerships and automotive service providers in their network. Kal Tires shares your vehicle’s VIN and service history with CARFAX for the purpose of providing additional services to you, such as providing you with your vehicle maintenance records. In order to view your vehicle’s service history, you must have a registered account on KalTire.com [My Garage Account] and a CARFAX account or CARFAX report.
Under certain circumstances, Kal Tire will disclose your personal information without first obtaining your consent to law enforcement and other governmental authorities when we are required or permitted by law to do so. This could include disclosure for the reporting or investigation of improper or unlawful activities, to comply with court orders, to protect health and safety, or to protect Kal Tire’s rights and property.
Voluntary Public Disclosure by You
You may disclose information to the public when you publish or post content to our Sites, such as where you post online store or product reviews. Any information that you disclose through these services will become publicly available.
Contests, Sweepstakes, and Promotions
As described above, from time to time, Kal Tire or its third-party service providers may run contests, sweepstakes or promotions. If you choose to enter a contest, sweepstake or promotion run by Kal Tire and/or our third-party service providers, your personal information may be disclosed to third parties or the public in connection with the administration of the contest, sweepstake or promotion, including, in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as permitted by the contest or promotion’s rules. You are encouraged to read and understand the rules for any contest, sweepstake or promotion that you choose to participate in. By participating in a contest, sweepstake or promotion, you are agreeing to the rules that govern that specific contest, sweepstake or promotion.
THIRD PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS
Kal Tire uses third party service providers to collect, use, or disclose personal information on behalf of Kal Tire, and also discloses some personal information to third party service providers as part of our operations.
Rebates sent to our customers may come in many forms, including pre-paid cards, cheques, or other third-party products, and Kal Tire may disclose your personal information to third parties in order for you to receive the rebate. You may request that we not provide information about you to third-party rebate providers, but in that case, the rebate will not be available to you.
Kal Tire is dedicated to ensuring we provide our customers with exceptional service. Part of this process is conducting follow-up customer service calls to our recent customers. These calls are sometimes performed by a third-party research service provider. Information given to the research service provider by Kal Tire includes details such as customer name, phone number and transaction details (store visited, transaction date, transaction aliases, vehicle details, invoice number and amount, Kal Tire team member name). The research service provider is only permitted to use this information to contact our customers to conduct surveys, and it does will not give out your personal information to any other organization without your consent.
Other services that require your personal information to perform functions on our behalf include:
• Electronic communications: we use e-mail service providers to facilitate e-mails to our customers and others who have opted-in to receiving marketing or promotional electronic communication from Kal Tire, and to send communications about service appointments. We also use third-party social media platforms to market our products and services, and to engage and communicate with you.
• Payment processing: we use a third-party payment processing platform to facilitate credit and debit card payment transactions.
• E-mail, phone, and live chat: we use service providers to manage our e-mail, phone, and live chat interactions with you.
• Kal Tire’s careers webpage: we use a third party to host the online platform for Kal Tire’s online job board and to manage applications submitted through the Sites.
• Product ratings, reviews, questions, feedback: we use third parties to manage the product and store ratings and reviews portions of the Sites, and to conduct follow-up customer service calls for research purposes.
• Web analytics: we use third parties to provide us with web analytic services to enable us to track usage information on our Sites, to create reports about user activities for us, and to provide other services associated with the use of the Sites.
• Identification, verification and fraud prevention: we use service providers to help us identify and verify you, detect and prevent fraud, investigate claims, and protect the security of our retail stores, employees, and the Sites.
The above collection, use and disclosure by third party service providers is solely for the purpose of having the third parties perform functions on behalf of Kal Tire. We take steps to help ensure our service providers only use personal information for authorized purposes and implement reasonable privacy and security safeguards appropriate to the personal information they handle on our behalf.
Where you provide information directly to third party providers who operate on behalf of Kal Tire, you may be subject to the collection practices and privacy policies of those third parties. You are responsible for reviewing and agreeing to those privacy policies and any other terms and conditions. If you do not agree with such terms or policies, then you should not use the services offered by such third-party service providers.
In some cases, we share aggregated and non-identifying information with our third-party providers (e.g. information about usage and performance of the Sites) so that our service providers can better manage and improve their products and services, including their services to Kal Tire. Aggregate and non-identifying information is not personal information and not subject to this policy.
SECURING PERSONAL INFORMATION
We are committed to ensuring the security of your personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal, or similar risks. We will use appropriate security measures when anonymizing, destroying or disposing of personal information.
We will periodically review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes, to ensure appropriate ongoing personal information security. Although we have employed security safeguards to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of personal information at all times. Any transmission of your personal information is at your own risk. The Sites include links to external websites, and those websites are not governed by this policy. Kal Tire is not responsible for the privacy practices, collection of personal information, or content of external websites.
Kal Tire is not responsible for any lost, stolen or compromised usernames, passwords or for any unauthorized activity on your My Garage Account via unauthorized password activity. To protect against unauthorized access to your My Garage Account, we recommend that you choose a robust password, protect your password, log out of your account, and close your browser after each use. Kal Tire is not responsible for any failure by you to secure your own devices and your access to the Internet or your use of public, unsecured networks, including publicly available in-store Wi-Fi that may be offered by Kal Tire.
STORAGE AND ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF CANADA
Some of our third-party service providers are located outside of Canada. As a result, your personal information may be stored and processed outside of Canada, and may be subject to the laws and access by government or regulatory organizations outside of Canada. If you have any questions about Kal Tire’s policies and practices with respect to service providers outside of Canada, you can contact the Kal Tire Privacy Officer at the details listed in the Questions and Complaints section of this policy below.
PROVIDING ACCESS TO PERSONAL INFORMATION
You have a right to access personal information that Kal Tire holds about you. There are some cases where Kal Tire will not provide access to personal information that we hold about you, such as where denial of access is authorized by law, where solicitor-client privilege applies, for health and safety concerns, or where disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual.
A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought. We will make the requested information available within 30 business days or provide you with written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request. A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform you of the cost and request further direction on whether or not we should proceed with the request. If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the customer in writing, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to the customer.
If you provide Kal Tire with your e-mail address or phone number and explicitly or implicitly consent to receiving electronic messages from us, you may receive electronic marketing messages from us about our own and third parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you, as permitted by law. If you do not want to receive these messages, the messages will provide you with our contact information and a method to opt-out and unsubscribe from future messages.
Except as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law, we will only retain your personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
You can close your My Garage Account by submitting a request to Kal Tire’s Privacy Officer or to our Customer Service Team (https://www.kaltire.com/en/contact-us.html). If you close your My Garage Account, we will retain information about your transactions with Kal Tire for business purposes. If you would like to update or remove specific information you have saved within your My Garage Account, you can update that yourself by logging into your account (e.g. vehicle information etc.).
Under some circumstances, we may anonymize your personal information so that it can no longer be associated with you. We reserve the right to use such anonymous and de-identified data for any legitimate business purpose without further notice to you or your consent.
Kal Tire may update this policy from time to time in order to reflect changes to how we handle personal information. All changes will be posted on kaltire.com. Our collection, use, disclosure, and retention of your personal information will be governed by the version of the policy currently in effect. As a result, we encourage you to periodically review our policy.
QUESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS: THE ROLE OF THE PRIVACY OFFICER
Mailing address: Privacy Officer, 1540 Kalamalka Lake Rd., Vernon, BC V1T 6V2
If the Privacy Officer is unable to resolve the concern, you may have options to exercise, including by making a complaint to the relevant privacy commissioner:
The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for British Columbia www.oipc.bc.ca
The Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta www.oipc.ab.ca
Commission d’accès à l’information du Québec https://www.cai.gouv.qc.ca/english/
Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada www.priv.gc.ca
Last updated: October 4, 2022